Skip to main content

8.2

Damage Control

Some minor updates before I get to what I actually logged on to talk about: 
  • First of all, I actually got my Tumblr account back a few hours ago! I just had to apoligize to 98 accounts for my account trying to scam them through DMs during the few days I lost access (and to the two that just blocked me, I of course understand but I wish I could apologize directly!)
  • I also updated this blog’s theme because I got sick of the old one. If formatting looks weird for a while, that’s why.
  • House is finally comfortable enough in his new habitat to start looking for a new shell! The one he came in was too small but now he’s picked one that's way too big. It sounds like it wouldn’t be a problem, but if a shell is too large it can cause health issues. I gave him even more options just now so that he hopefully picks a better choice soon. 
he looks so tiny in there!

Now on to what I came here for..

My family has been so stressful this past year and some of that stress came to a head yesterday and today.

I got dinner with my grandparents (my dad’s father and his wife) yesterday and it did not go well. The moment we sat down, they asked if there was any way they could get me to reconcile with my father. I gave them a hard no immediately, but despite this, they kept trying to guilt me into giving in. 

Regardless, they shouldn’t be trying to get involved in this, but what makes it worse is that my dad is feeding them false information about his situation. 

My dad is a CO at a medium security prison and it has entirely ruined his life. The job has traumatized him and changed him DRASTICALLY for the worse, whether he’ll admit it or not. While there was oppurtunities in the past, he now can’t leave this job because of how he’s gambled away tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on daytrading (he admitted to my mother that it’s at least enough to buy a new house). 

This situation is already bad enough, but what’s worse is that he refuses to take a single ounce of responsibility over it. His current narrative is that it’s my mom’s fault. He has convinced my extended family that she takes half of his paycheck for child support, and that’s the reason he’s broke. She actually only gets 10%, and because this agreement was made a decade ago, she could go back to court and get way more than she already does (he makes way more money now). There’s more examples of his lies and exaggerations but I’d have to write way more here than I want to.

I have tried to explain to my grandparents that he’s lying but they seem to never believe me. Instead of listening, they continued to try to make me feel bad for him and my grandpa even said he felt like a bad father because of what’s going on between my dad and I. It got to the point where I had to threaten to leave the restaurant and that’s when they finally stopped. Regardless, the dinner was entirely ruined for me, but I chose not to show it.

I had a feeling this would happen but it still shattered me regardless. Whenever I’m forced to think about my choice to cut off my father, I feel horrible about myself, not because I miss my dad, but because I don’t love him. He was horrible and is still horrible to me but it still feels very wrong to have a dad very much alive in the world but dead to me. My brother is still in his life and I worry that he’s going to face everything I have and more when he inevitably chooses to start pushing back against my dad’s bullshit.

When I got back from dinner, I slept for 16 hours on and off throughout the night and next morning. When  woke up for the day, I sobbed uncontrollably for hours and planned to isolate myself for the rest of the weeks. I’m seeing my dad’s mom for her birthday on Friday and I’m very worried that a similar situation will happen then. My boyfriend wanted to go out tomorrow and at first I said I couldn’t because of how bad things were going for me today.

After that, I tried getting my shit together by attempting to even just play minecraft with him and another friend of ours. While I got on the game, I failed to join the call after an hour of attempting to and this drew some more concern from the both of them. I felt so much worse afterwards because I felt like I was being too much for even saying that I was doing outright bad. I planned to just curl up and try to sleep until Friday but my boyfriend offered to bring me dinner, which I very hesitantly said yes to because of how much of a mess I was. 

*Shockingly,* talking to someone about my situation and eating something besides a single can of tuna today helped me a ton. I changed my mind about going out tomorrow and hopefully Friday goes okay. Ideally there won’t be a follow up to the main chunk of this post, but stay tuned for other things.. -G


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1.2

Happy to say that I think I'll keep posting for a while. I like the newsletter-ish format I have going on with the mini posts within my posts. I had a lot of time to write today because my car was in the shop and I had to crash at my mom's for a few hours. Today I offer not two, but three blurbs: The Revision, Revised (update! & on getting that appeal approved) I got my response back today! While my professor disagreed with some of my concerns, they're willing to let me do the one assignment I missed to push my grade to a B-! The best outcome would've been not having to do any more work for this class but I'll take this as a learning opportunity as well as a win. It's nice to get a second shot at something I struggled to understand, and, not to sound like a soulless LinkedIn post, but this whole issue has taught me a lot about being professional and working with difficult professionals. If you're also a dumb college student that got an unfortunate grade,...

1.6

 Back with a late post tonight. I was running around all day and was busy with some things: Holy Shit , Acoustics! I've spent hours between yesterday and today trying to get this assignment done for my appeal, and I only just finished it an hour ago. The instructions look pretty simple: I had to create a design narrative for a recording studio in a business complex, meaning I had to describe what materials I'd use to construct the place and then how'd I acoustically treat each part of my studio. I had to have a tracking room, a vocal booth, and a control room. Only three rooms in an already given template. It doesn't seem that bad, right?  WRONG. I have come to respect my professor far more, as they also work as an acoustics consultant (I think being a professor is definitely their side hustle). I knew that kind of work was hard but I didn't realize just how much goes into this sorta thing until I had to design a studio myself. I now understand so much better why I ...

1.7

Today was a day of rest for me because for whatever reason, I just woke up not feeling great. In result, have two sorta put-together thoughts: "Feeling Younger than Your Age" I've constantly heard about people feeling younger than their age. Before I deleted Instagram, I saw so many posts from people my age with that audio that goes something like, "Suddenly you realize you're not 17 anymore and you haven't been 17 for a very long time," usually followed by woes of still feeling like a teenager despite being in their twenties. Why does it seem like so many people feel like they're unable to progress past their teenage years? What was so good about that specific time for everyone that outweighs the far better things (that outweigh the cons, in my opinion) of adulthood? The overwhelming amount of nostalgia-sick people my age makes me feel like I missed out on something key in my teenage years. I knew depression ate those years away, but never thought t...