Skip to main content

1.20

 20 Posts! I can't believe I've kept up with this for this long. Having a digital diary like this has helped me take way more control of my thoughts. I've been exhausted at the end of every day this week because of college, but I still find myself writing when I get home anyway. 

Perc Ensemble 1

Percussion ensemble started today, which was great. According to my director, we're playing one of the oldest percussion ensemble pieces he knows of. I'm gonna take his word on it, considering he was taught by THE Vic Firth.

the score is so old it looks
like parchment. Seems like Allison
was struggling to count at the tempo 
change

That first section was tricky to sightread, but I somehow played it without messing up the first time. The other bassist is gonna conduct this piece (he's a music education major), and my director turned to him and said that I was doing a great job. I overheard my name since I was close enough to the front, and he ended up glazing me in front of the whole ensemble when I jokingly asked what he said about me. I guess him and my bass professor talk a lot, and he thinks I'm doing a good job too. I was like, Really? Compliments from my bass professor are extremely rare, at least to my face. Kinda embarrassing for the percussion director to say in front of 20 other people, but I always appreciate it when he compliments my playing. I tend to think I'm shit.


The only other interesting thing that happened today was that I went down to my local music store to drop my amp off for repair. I was gonna go to the hockey game to see my friends (they're all in the pep band), but I was too tired. I would write more, but I'm gonna hop off so I can set out to do what I need to tonight: sleep for once.

See you tomorrow! -G

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1.2

Happy to say that I think I'll keep posting for a while. I like the newsletter-ish format I have going on with the mini posts within my posts. I had a lot of time to write today because my car was in the shop and I had to crash at my mom's for a few hours. Today I offer not two, but three blurbs: The Revision, Revised (update! & on getting that appeal approved) I got my response back today! While my professor disagreed with some of my concerns, they're willing to let me do the one assignment I missed to push my grade to a B-! The best outcome would've been not having to do any more work for this class but I'll take this as a learning opportunity as well as a win. It's nice to get a second shot at something I struggled to understand, and, not to sound like a soulless LinkedIn post, but this whole issue has taught me a lot about being professional and working with difficult professionals. If you're also a dumb college student that got an unfortunate grade,...

1.6

 Back with a late post tonight. I was running around all day and was busy with some things: Holy Shit , Acoustics! I've spent hours between yesterday and today trying to get this assignment done for my appeal, and I only just finished it an hour ago. The instructions look pretty simple: I had to create a design narrative for a recording studio in a business complex, meaning I had to describe what materials I'd use to construct the place and then how'd I acoustically treat each part of my studio. I had to have a tracking room, a vocal booth, and a control room. Only three rooms in an already given template. It doesn't seem that bad, right?  WRONG. I have come to respect my professor far more, as they also work as an acoustics consultant (I think being a professor is definitely their side hustle). I knew that kind of work was hard but I didn't realize just how much goes into this sorta thing until I had to design a studio myself. I now understand so much better why I ...

1.7

Today was a day of rest for me because for whatever reason, I just woke up not feeling great. In result, have two sorta put-together thoughts: "Feeling Younger than Your Age" I've constantly heard about people feeling younger than their age. Before I deleted Instagram, I saw so many posts from people my age with that audio that goes something like, "Suddenly you realize you're not 17 anymore and you haven't been 17 for a very long time," usually followed by woes of still feeling like a teenager despite being in their twenties. Why does it seem like so many people feel like they're unable to progress past their teenage years? What was so good about that specific time for everyone that outweighs the far better things (that outweigh the cons, in my opinion) of adulthood? The overwhelming amount of nostalgia-sick people my age makes me feel like I missed out on something key in my teenage years. I knew depression ate those years away, but never thought t...